November 28, 2005

Focus on the Family

When Jesus focused on the family here is some of what he had to say.

Luke 12
51Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division.
52From now on there will be five in one family divided against each other, three against two and two against three.
53They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law."

Mark 3
31Then Jesus' mother and brothers arrived. Standing outside, they sent someone in to call him.
32A crowd was sitting around him, and they told him, "Your mother and brothers are outside looking for you."

33"Who are my mother and my brothers?" he asked.
34Then he looked at those seated in a circle around him and said, "Here are my mother and my brothers!
35Whoever does God's will is my brother and sister and mother."

Matthew 19
29And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother[f] or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life.

Luke 14
26"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters—yes, even his own life—he cannot be my disciple.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha

Trey said...

This is pretty key stuff. I'm convinced that God wants us to have a larger definition of our "family", just as He wants us to have a larger view of life itself. Understanding and applying these Scriptures is key to enlarging our view of the family.

David Baxley said...

I have always struggled with this stuff. I feel that the one thing that hinders me in being sold out in ministry is Family. Paul warns about this for marriage but how does this apply in that area? Were do our commitments to God’s calling come in line with family and marriage conflicts? I have seen this as the biggest cause of failed marriages among Pastors, the struggle to do ministry and be a good spouse and parent. Do we act wrongly by putting family 2nd many times or do we have the wrong expectations of our marriages, pastors, and spouses in the marriage?