July 09, 2006

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

This morning I was spending a little time worshipping and reflecting on Christ before I went to church. I was listening to U2’s “I Still Hhaven’t Found, What I’m Looking For”, and I thought to myself, why does this song resonate with me so much? (cause I’m not a Christian, or Christianity isn’t the answer?) (no, just kidding)

The technical answer sprung to my mind, and it was comforting, sort of…

The technical answer is that we live in both the “now” and “not yet” of the Kingdom of God. Not surprisingly, this side of heaven, not even the best of church services, or pleasure of any kind can compete with what we will have on the other side of this life. Even on our best days, when we are closest to the Father, (as close as we can be that is) we are still so far away, because nothing on this side can compare with the union we will experience on the other side of heaven. Consequently the phrase “I still haven’t found what I’m looking for” resonates with us.

This technical answer is only partially comforting because it means that most likely, this side of heaven, we will never completely experience what we were created for, and if I have my druthers, it will be quite some time before I do.

Now all of this may make me sound a bit holy, but that previous sentence is key, my actions show that obviously, finding “what I’m looking for” isn’t really that important. Though we can’t experience God the way we will in heaven, we can experience him on this earth more fully, though how, if, and why, is a complex amalgamation. Part of the how, if, and why, has to do with obedience, and that is an area I often fail in.

No comments: