April 15, 2006

On Fried Green Tomatoes and Death

I just finished watching Fried Green Tomatoes for the first time, and I have to admit, I cried, well, teared up anyway. By the way, Idgie is now officially one of my pastoral role models. The tears I think, were pent up from Larry’s death a week ago, but there was something else there as well.

For some reason I have a fascination with the emotional components of death. I think, what it is, is that death more than anything else cuts through my tough posture, and really makes me feel. Most of the time I choose not to feel, but then with a film like this, I go overboard, and feel all the pain.

There is so much that is just utterly fake in this world, and so much that just doesn’t matter. Death is not one of those things.

I need to add that the way I feel about death is not the evangelical “they're in a better place now” thing. (Though I do believe that's often true.)

No, I hate death.

I hate it very much.

Almost as much as I hate that so much of it, is so damn preventable. And I’m not referring to those 10 o’clock news promos about, “what’s really killing you” which are little better than the tabloids. I’m talking about the real stuff, genocide, abortion, famine, cancer, AIDS, etc…

It seems to me that if God really loved us he would just do away with death. And yes, that is somewhat heretical, but it is somewhat true as well.

No comments: