April 19, 2006

On Lent

My friend Greg had a really good article about the lenten season published in the Semi, Fuller's student newspaper.

My first jolt out of Easter baskets and sunrise services into something much more contemplative regarding Easter and the week leading up to Easter occurred during my sophomore year of college. The Thursday prior to Easter Sunday my Christian theology professor, Dr. Preben Vang, arrived to class wearing a black suit. Some wise-fool, much like myself, blurted out half joking, “Who died?” Dr. Vang did not find this amusing. He stood straight up, looked sternly at the class (we all knew something important was about to happen) and replied, “It’s Maundy Thursday and you have to ask me who died?” I had never heard of this event before, but the point was well taken: Jesus’s death and resurrection affects much more of the calendar than Christmas and Easter.

I won’t say that this one-line, rhetorical question put me on the road to Rome, but it sure did not hurt the journey. Now I revel in every aspect of Holy Week from Palm Sunday to Maundy Thursday to Good Friday to Holy Saturday and, of course, Easter Sunday.

You can read the rest here.

No comments: