October 10, 2005

Feeling Like Shit

I’m back from the murder trial of a childhood friend, Andrew, who I have re-befriended in light of the fact that he is now a convicted murderer, and has no friends. This was the first time I was away from my wife for an extended period so it was definitely nice to come home and connect with her again.

While in Macon, Georgia, I learned more details of the gut wrenching murders, and listened as members of the victim’s families described the horror of finding out about the demise of their loved ones. Needless to say, it was very painful…a huge understatement.

I then contributed my perspective of Andrew to the jury in an effort to save his life. It is the right thing for me to do, but I’m not sure that sparing his life is the right thing for the state to do. Yet, ironically, I am opposed to the death penalty for practical reasons, believing that some people are incarcerated and put to death that are innocent, not on purpose, of course, but because of direct or institutional racism, and an over-confidence in the authenticity of “eye witness” accounts. But, that’s another conversation.

Needless to say I have a lot on my mind, though for the moment I’m choosing not to deal with it, pretending that everything is fine now that I’m back in Pasadena, away from the heart wrenching reality of two lovers, forced to watch, listen and smell the love of their life being slashed to death…by my friend, Andrew Witt.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Not many are willing to make the stand you are; willing to be Christ to someone else when the circumstances are this difficult.

Peace.