January 26, 2006

A Definition of Church

For my Church in the New Testament class, my final consists of writing a single sentence that defines the definition of “Church”. Obviously this is incredibly reductionistic, but none-the-less, here is my working definition.

The Church is the community of God, in Christ, through the power of the Holy Spirit, being and proclaiming the Gospel, a reflection of the Kingdom of God.

Three things that I hope are not missed. It is trinitarian, something many churches functionally are not. (We tend to focus on our favorite person of the Godhead.) We are called to do/be something, (i.e. missional) not simply intellectually acknowledge stuff, and finally the word Gospel should be understood in the broadest possible terms (things traditionally conservative and liberal).

Help me out here, what do you think? Or if you want, state your own one sentence definition.

No comments: